Here are some ideas for the beginning of the year:
1. Make sure to have tons of things to do for the first week of school. Too much! I usually also let s. practice working with math manipulatives, name making (cut up names, tracing names, letter tiles, playdough, and I write their name on paper and then let them cover it with stars), playdough, kissing hand activities, getting to know you games, rules.
2. Take a picture of each of your sweeties and and then make 5 copies of each kid. I use these for many things: centers, book baskets, etc.
3. Have a place for school supplies. Maybe labeled bins.
4. Make a class list (have at least 3 copies).
5. Make a sign up sheet for parents to give you their main number and how they are going to get home.